Black beans are perfect year round, but when you slow cook them, pure perfection! Theses gorgeous gems are an excellent source of fiber and protein. Enjoy them in a bowl topped with avocado (shown here) or with rice, quinoa or in your salad! Makes an excellent side with grilled chicken or fish, too, so get out that crock pot! This recipe uses dried black beans soaked overnight, soak according to directions on the package.
Black Beans Ingredients:
- 1lb. of soaked organic black beans
- 1T. Coconut oil
- 1 c. Finely chopped onion
- 1 c. Finely chopped green, red and yellow peppers
- 2T. Minced garlic
- 1 T. Oregano
- 1T. Basil
- 1/2T cilantro
- 1T Cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp. Salt & 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 box of crushed tomato purée
- 2 ½ c water
- Optional: crushed red pepper,
- In skillet, melt coconut oil and add onion, peppers, and garlic.
- Sauté for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Pour mix into crockpot.
- Add beans and remaining ingredients.
- Turn crockpot to low.